in Artwork, Commissions
I recently painted up a Hordes miniature for a friend’s Poison Dart Frog themed Legion army, and I wanted to do something special for the base. I decided to add a mini UV LED into the base, and coat the model’s underbelly with some UV Bubble solution. The Bubble solution was chosen due to the fact that it really doesn’t show up under normal lights, unlike most UV paints.
The model is a 30mm base, and I happened to find some LED Wedding Tea Lights that have that same size, the color of the bulb that came with didn’t matter since I wasn’t going to use it. Then I bought some 1.8mm UV LEDs – the tinier the better – to replace the large-ish one that the tea light comes with. Some scrap plastic card, and basic hobby tools, and I was all set.
The tea light was really tall, and since the model I was doing wasn’t a Warlock/Caster, I didn’t think it should be up quite that tall, so I’d need to modify the enclosure for the batteries, wafer and LED.
Opening up the tea light, I got all the components that I needed, and I threw out the screw-on bottom. I also clipped off the existing LED, and cleaned up the solder on the bottom side of the wafer. The new LED leads were bent into place, and stayed well enough without having to worry about attaching any new solder.
I built a new bottom using plastic card and the metal plate from the tea light. In order to make it removable, but still stay in place, I added two L-shaped arms onto the bottom piece, and two crescent-shaped rims onto the top piece, which I also painted black.
New base plate made of plastic card, new LED leads on the existing wafer.
Cross section of new base and Top Enclosure interlocked together
After trimming the leads of the LED, I glued the wafer onto the top of the enclosure. Using a square file, I widened the slit in the base to accommodate the LED, put in the batteries and gave it a test.
With the light working, I glued the base on top of the whole assembly and finished the model. The light turns off with a short turn of the base, and the base can come off to replace batteries when needed.
Please visit our Kickstarter to support the project, so I continue working on it, and work on future games: